The New York Times article I discussed in my previous post provided some interesting observations on the state of tourism. Here are a few quick hits:
- People are staying closer to home.
- People are staying for shorter periods of time.
- More people are deciding whether to take a vacation at the last minute.
- People are being more choosy about where they stay.
- Room rates are dropping to attract travelers.
- Amenities are being added to attract travelers.
- Travel in some resort areas, over the winter, dropped by as much as 20%.
- Properties available for rent (homes) have increased between 25% and 90% depending upon the market.
- The drive-able market (from New York City) has shown some increases in demand (Vermont up 15% – 20%).
- People who have never considered renting a home before are now considering these alternatives.